Youth Social Work internship in Cape Town, South Africa
What you’ll do
- Helping create stimulating, educative, and fun activities for the children in the after care program
- Assist with the coordination of other volunteers who come to help with the activities
- Assist with individual or group sessions with children in order to support them with traumatic events they have been through
- Helping cook for and feed the children at the center
- Assisting with the day to day management of the center
- Assisting with the development of the center, which can include fundraising, communications, partnership management, and organizational structuring
- Offering organizational support to a number of daycare centers in Masiphumelele
Project hours Monday to Friday
08:30-12:30 Morning projects
14:30-16:30 Afternoon projects (on Friday there are no afternoon projects)
The weekends are off unless you are assisting with volunteer house arrivals/departures
- Preferably background or experience in sociology, psychology, social work, community development, education, pedagogy, or similar
- Good social skills
- Good English skills
- Enjoy working with children and people of different cultures
- Interest in community projects
- Open minded and creative
This organization also offers a Psychology and Event Coordination Internship.
This internship is based on a volunteer work placement, which means you won't receive any stipend or free accommodation.
Ubuntu Project is a social development organization that works in Masiphumelele, a township on the outskirts of Cape Town that deals with a high level of social issues such as poverty, crime, drug and alcohol abuse, and HIV/AIDS. Ubuntu’s main focus is the Ubuntu Centre, a community center that directs resources to the community and cares for between 60 and 100 children every day. The children are from families that lack the resources to provide them with daycare, and the center offers a safe and educative space on a daily basis. They also offer the children healthy meals. Many of the children have experienced traumas and receive as much emotional support as possible at the center. The organization also supports a number of daycare centers in the township that are run by the grandmothers and mothers of the community.
Hoe te solliciteren
Send your CV/resume with a short motivation for this internship to email@example.com. Please note you will be contacted by someone from Roots Interns as they handle all applications for this internship. They will also organize accommodation, transfers, etc. for you. Fees apply and can be found on the Roots website.